Our Tyro League is designed for 1st and 2nd grade girls who have an interest in playing softball and want to have fun with friends. While we work to build a foundation of fundamental skills, our true goal is to instill a love for the game.
- Tyro is a "coach pitch" league where each team selects an adult to pitch underhand to their own team, with the opposing team playing the field.
- Girls are encouraged to play several different positions, and a continuous batting order used.
- Official scores and standings are not kept. There is no play-off/Championship at season’s end.
- All 2nd graders are invited to play in an "All 2nd Graders Game" on the last Sunday of the Season. Similar to an All-Star game, but open to all 2nd graders , and only 2nd graders, we paint the field red, white and blue, sing the National Anthem, do introductions and play music on a PA system, and hold an on-field trophy ceremony after the game. Next year, they move on to Juniors.
- For girls interested in extending the softball season and playing in a bit more competitive environment, LZBSA will field up to two (2) post-season tournament teams. Teams play in two (2) weekend tournaments in July – usually one in Cary and one in Lake Zurich.
No experience is necessary or expected of Tyro players. All are welcome.
Come on out for a good time!
What is a Tyro anyway?
Tyro is from the old Latin "tiro" meaning young warrior/soldier. Today, Merrian-Webster defines Tyro as "a beginner in learning something new".